
(ANSA-AFP) - GIESSEN, 29 NOV - A meeting to launch the new youth wing of the far-right Alternative for Germany (AfD) was delayed Saturday for more than two hours as protestors blocked access to the venue. Thousands of anti-AfD protestors began descending on the central town of Giessen near Frankfurt from the early morning, with police also out in force. The meeting had been due to start at 1000 local time (0900 GMT) but only got underway after 1200, accompanied by audible whistles, drums and chants from the protestors outside. One of the protest organisations, "Resist", said that it blocked several routes towards the meeting and had gathered 15,000 people. The party's co-leader Alice Weidel condemned those who had caused "chaos" outside and said those gathered in the hall were "the new generations of the party". The anti-immigration AfD became Germany's main opposition at February's general election in which it won a record score of over 20 percent and hopes to make further gains at state elections next year in its eastern heartlands. The new youth organisation will replace the Junge Alternative (JA), which was classified as an extremist group by intelligence services and then disbanded by the AfD earlier this year, pre-empting a possible ban. The JA had frequently been involved in controversies, including its members using racist chants and holding meetings with neo-Nazis. The party's other co-leader Tino Chrupalla admitted in his speech to the hall that the party had "to learn from past mistakes". Some of those active in the party's previous youth activities had "banged their heads against the wall rather than getting their foot in the door," he said. (ANSA-AFP).