Within the Governmental Dimension, the CEI Summit is one of the most significant bodies, gathering the Heads of Government of the eighteen CEI Member States. Usually convened in autumn in the country holding the CEI Presidency, it takes decisions on the political and economic orientation for CEI cooperation and gives visibility to the organisation. The Heads of Government decide on the following:
- principles and objectives of the CEI;
- amendments to the CEI Guidelines and Rules of Procedure;
- political and economic orientation for the cooperation within the framework of the Initiative, including adoption of the Plan of Action;
- membership (admission, suspension);
- approval of the Annual Report of the CEI Secretary General.